Constipation in cats is an all too common issue. Although in the majority of cases, constipation is readily treated, there are a number of cases when chronic constipation could lead to more severe ailments, such as megacolon.
What’s a megacolon?
Megacolon is whenever the gut gets enlarged, dilated, and packaged with hard fecal matter. Feline megacolon can be a very embarrassing disorder for your kitty. If your cat has a megacolon, then they could have frequent unproductive distress, lethargy, appetite loss, and nausea. You can also notice small hard stools at the litter box and about the home. Occasionally liquid feces is passed round the tough fecal mass, which makes owners believe their kitty is getting nausea.
What causes megacolon in cats?
There are a number of possible causes of megacolon in cats, for example:
- Your kitty eating poorly digestible, business matter like baldness, particular plants, or jumble.
- Chronic underlying health conditions, such as kidney disease electrolyte imbalances, or arthritic pain
- Physical inner obstruction, like when cats possess a broken pelvis– that the thoracic artery may be narrowed and make feces tough and too painful to pass, causing the stool to become infected from the colon and finally cause the colon to sag.
- Certain pharmaceutical medications
- Poor neuromuscular problems with the colon
- A filthy mess pan (a few kitties prefer super clean pans and will hold it)
What are the remedies of megacolon in cats?
Enemas are the very first thing to try at your vet’s office to alleviate obstipation. Together with fluid supplementation, potential antibiotics, anti-nausea drugs, and pain drugs. In acute cases, once an enema is inadequate, anesthesia and guide de-bulking of their colon are essential.
Medicines for example enclose, Metamucil, Miralax, and fiber supplementation are means to soften the feces, which makes it simpler for the kitty to pass the feces following the colon was emptied. Cisapride and Dulcolax are drugs to boost the contractile potency of their large intestine.
Which are long-term alternatives?
Daily medications are essential, together with food treatment (low residue, highly digestible diets, or higher fiber diets), and nutritional supplements.
What occurs when constipation cannot be managed with drugs?
In these acute conditions, sub-total colectomy operation offers relief for several cats who can not be handled with meals supplements, or drugs.
Which are preventative choices?
Preventing your kitty from getting hard, infrequent stools is critical to preventing megacolon. The first Indication of battle to defecate with hard stools needs to be medicated supplements
Diet — high fiber and low residue
Megacolon can be a really frightening problem for pet owners. Ensure that your kitty has all of the support they want with supplementation, diet, and medicine. If your kitty’s constipation is severe, please seek veterinary help straight away.